Ferny Hills State School is renowned for its outstanding sporting program and dedicated staff who support and enhance it. Our students have a passion for sport particularly team sports.
Every class has a HPE lesson each week and we have outstanding facilities including:
- Irrigated oval used for athletics and team sports with a terraced spectator area.
- School Hall incorporating indoor sports such as basketball, volleyball courts and gymnastic equipment.
- Fitness shed incorporating equipment including treadmills and exercise circuits.
- Two floodlit multipurpose courts for tennis and volleyball.
- Two cricket nets.
- We also have access to nearby George Willmore park that we use for our cross country and other events.
Students participate in the following events throughout the year including:
- Swimming Carnival
- Cross Country
- Senior Athletics
- Junior Athletics
- Under Eights
- Gala Days in selected sports.
The students are divided into three house teams:
- Banks (blue)
- Cook (yellow)
- Hicks (red)
All students in Years 4-6 participate in Interschool Sport on Friday afternoons. There are two seasons, Summer Sport and Winter Sport. The Summer Sport options include Touch Football, Volleyball and Tennis. Options for Winter Sport were Soccer, Rugby League, Tennis or Netball.
Swimming lessons occur in term 1 for years 4-6 and in Term 4 for Prep to Year 3. We use our local council pool across the road from our school on Ferny Way.
Students have the opportunity to trial for District Teams in a large number of sports. Successful children can continue this pathway onto Regional, State and National Carnivals. In recent years, we have had students competing at the highest level in:
- Rugby League
- Touch Football
The P&C may provide support to students selected in state or National teams please click on the link Sports Rep Policy (PDF, 12 KB)
To view all current information and permission slips regarding sports please visit our Parent Resource page.