Currently the only device accepted in ELF is the iPad. Advantages of the iPad, allowing us to meet the aims of the program, include:
- access the plethora of content and creation apps (many of which are free) to support student learning;
- access to a wealth of information on the Internet, as required, through wireless connectivity;
- access to rich media including digital stories, images and video;
- increased productivity through quick loading of apps and quick response of the iPad;
- very reliable iPad operating system, ensuring maximum up-time;
- simple yet sophisticated text, audio and video based communication functionality for collaboration with peers, teachers and experts in a local, national or global context;
- ability to personalise learning and provide work targeted at the correct level for students;
- high student engagement both independent and collaborative.
The iPad is already an established tool at Ferny Hills. Students currently have access to 55 iPads which are shared across the school. Additionally, every classroom teacher has an iPad to support learning and professional activities. These school devices are part of the suite of ICT tools that are used in combination to support student learning and integrate well in our eLearning environment.
While the iPad is the device currently selected for the ELF program, in future years iPads may not be the preferred platform to meet the needs of our students. This is due to the constant technological development of devices and the evolving curriculum.